Monday, September 16, 2013

FAMILIAL SYNCHRONIZATION

I, the romantic fool, getting more so as with older, just finished watching the season two finale of NEWSROOM.

As the sound of a delicious cover of Pete Townsend's "Let My Love Open The Door" embraced, captured and swept me away, tears began impairing my capacity to see. But my sensory abilities to hear and feel were more than enough to permit the appreciation of genius, which is what Aaron Sorkin is and has.

It's too detailed and dove-tailed for me to try and recap, but take it from me, the last few minutes of this installment was richly overflowing with emotional chords which should strike the heart of everyone who has one.

I'm a Pisces and therefore romantically cuckoo. I'll find love in every tender moment, for it is the oxygen of life. Accordingly, when Sorkin, who made his bones with the West Wing, goes for it, he usually hits a home run. Tonight, it was a grand slam. Biting wit, brilliant social commentary and political dissection all came together in a wind tunnel and rewarded faithful fans with a many splendored thing.

Loose threads were bordered, ambiguity was replaced with optimism and emotional punchlines were perfectly dealt to let you know what is always in the air.

But to the point of this post: I immediately reached for the phone to call my son and reinforce his conviction that I am sentimentally nuts. I blurted out, "Did you just see the Newsroom?" but was cut off  before I could articulate the last word.
"I'll have to call you back," he stammered, "my eyes are full of tears."

My poor son's distance from the tree is indeed short. No DNA is required to ascertain his genes. I adore him. Much thicker than water. Joy of joys.

I'm very grateful. The Lord made room for two of us.

And about the power of love: Believe in it.


1 comment:

  1. Judge,
    I so too was moved by the last episode of Newsroom, just when I was questioning my dedication to the show...Bam! Plus I think I'm in love with Mac. D'oh!

    ReplyDelete